Spring is here, and even if it hasn't brought sunshine and warm temperatures quite yet, it's a great time to get a jump start on your spring cleaning. From the walls to the linens and even outside, here's how to update your apartment and get it totally organized this spring.
- Start with the windows. The windows are a great place to start because they go through a whole lot of wear and tear during the winter snow, sleet and rain. Start by washing the insides with standard glass cleaner and a microfiber towel, then move to the exterior and wash them down with a rag and some warm, soapy water. As a bonus, switch out heavy drapes with light, sheer curtains or blinds.
- Clean all floors and rugs. Now that you've maximized the light in your space, get to work on the floors: vacuum all carpets thoroughly and use a steam cleaner if need be, then make your way to hard surfaces. Sweep away any dust and dirt, then mop them with a great smelling cleaner designed for hardwood floors. If you have area rugs, take them outside, give them a good shake and let them air out for a bit before replacing.
- Refresh your textiles. Now that the winter chill is on its way out, replace your bedding with something lighter. Flip your mattress to prevent it from wearing out on one side, and then go through your towels and replace any that are badly stained or worn out. If you'd like, you can even switch out any throw pillows with ones that are brighter and more colorful for the springtime.
- Deep clean the kitchen and bath. Now for the hard part — remove all unused or expired products from your bathroom cabinets, clear all old food and condiments out the refrigerator and reach deep into kitchen drawers to toss any broken or old utensils and ingredients. Clean all appliances with their corresponding cleaners, and don't forget those less-common tasks, such as cleaning the oven or snaking the drains.
- Prep your outdoor space. Get ready for warmer weather by making sure your patio or balcony is put together. Sweep away any debris, pull out your outdoor furniture and give it a good cleaning, and even add finishing touches like string lights, flowers or plants.